- Business is a journey not a destination. Enjoying what you do each day and finding a balance is important. (and a daily challenge!).
- Run your own race. Work hard. Building a business is not easy…but it can be worth it. Ask yourself: What’s the worst that can happen? Take an educated risk – and back yourself.
- Build a legacy – what do you want to achieve with your business? Set realistic short and long term goals. Hae a bigger business plan. Keep learning and celebrate the wins along the way.
- Understand your numbers – cashflow, profit and loss, balance sheets and forecasting. Looking at the numbers and benchmark your business to provide insights into how you are tracking and guidelines for future planning and strategic direction.
- “There is no ‘i’ in team.” (or Co!). Having a good team around you is essential to business growth.
- Put people first – build relationships, look after your team and customers. Support them in their business and career growth. And they will become friends and allies.
It’s also good to ask for help when you need it. You don’t have to do it alone. Lean on the (trusted) people around you.
- You can’t be an expert in everything. Work to you and your team’s strengths. Outsource the rest.
- Good communication is key. Don’t assume you know what others think or need. If in doubt, ask. Set realistic expectations. Invite and listen to feedback. Communication needs to work both ways. p.s face-to-face communication trumps digital. Not always possible, but worth doing.
- Be open to change. Times change and so do industries, people and demand. It’s a good thing. Get good at learning and adapting. Technology is here to stay.
- You win some, you lose some.You can’t be all things to all people. Learn from mistakes and move on. Sometimes people just need a change. (see point above).
10 ½ Invest in your business growth through ongoing professional development & training. Become a better leader not a manager. You’re never to old to learn new tricks. 🙂